Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Bacon Butternut Squash Souffle

Last fall, I expanded my mind and palette for fall foods and feel in love with butternut squash. It's fairly mild and versatile, but still has a unique flavor. I still think my Butternut Squash Pasta (with spinach and sausage) is one of my favorite dishes I've ever made...but squash can make a great side as well, case and point, butternut squash risotto and souffle below.
 
This was my first time ever making a souffle. I was a bit unsure how it'd turn out, but it is surprisingly easy and oooo, so delicious! The secret is the egg whites. Whip 'em and whip 'em good!
Ingredients:
(Original recipe; Makes 4-5 souffles)
  • Small butternut squash
  • 4 eggs (separate yolk and white)
  • 1 heaping Tbsp flour
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • ~1/4 cup bacon fat
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tsp thyme (I used dried)
  • 1 tsp sage (I used dried)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4-5 ramekins (I used these 3.5")

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  • Cut squash in half length-wise
  • Place with cut-side down on aluminim foil lined baking sheet
  • Bake for ~30 minutes; or until soft
  • Scoop out the seeds
  • Scoop squash out of shell and place in food processor
  • Puree squash until smooth
  • Hint: the reason I like to bake the squash on aluminum foil is that is makes for easy clean up! Wrap up the foil with shell and seeds. Viola!
  • Place pureed squash in a medium size bowl
  • In a skillet on medium heat, cook bacon until crispy
  • Pour excess bacon grease into squash bowl, leaving a small amount in pan
  • Cook garlic and onion in pan until clear (approximately 3 minutes)
  • Place egg yolks in bowl with squash and bacon grease
  • Puree until smooth
  • Crush bacon into bite size pieces
  • Add bacon, onion, garlic, flour, herbs, salt and pepper to bowl
  • Mix well to combine
 
  • Place egg whites in a medium bowl
  • Beat eggs whites until a stiff peak forms (this took me approximately 3 minutes by hand)
  • Pour whites into squash mixture
  • Use spatula to fold whites into mixture
  • Continue folding until white streaks disappear
  • Pre-grease ramekins
  • Pour mixture into ramekins; filling them
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes (use toothpick test)
  • Enjoy!
Linking up with Let's Get Bananas and Blissfully Miller for Taste of Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. I never thought to use it in a souffle. Love the addition of bacon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'm loving all of these butternut squash recipes I'm finding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmmm...yes please!!! This looks soooo good!! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing!! I tried to make souffles once when I was maybe 12 and failed MISERABLY. This recipe, however, looks great, and I'm glad I'm not the only one not scared to cook with bacon fat, haha. Stopping by from the linkup. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips