Today's food "theme" is Bachelorette/Bachelor, if you will. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my first food item, but I do have a cute (read cheesey) saying and delicious recipe to share. Plus, what I lack for pictures of the first item, the balls, I have plenty of pics of the second, the Bewbs (you'll just have to scroll down to find out when I mean by this).
We had my best friend's Bachelorette party last weekend and it went really well! I had a great time and I know she (the bride) did too. We started off with a cooking demonstration, and some great food, at a local restaurant. Since we ate a fair amount there, the MOH and I thought we should just have some snacks/apps for the evening when we drank/played games. I racked my brain for items that: 1.Related to bachelorette (so penis), 2. Could be served at a hotel, and 3. The majority of people would like...thus: cocktail hot dogs and meatballs in crockpots...except, even better I came up with a cute saying to tie in the penis-theme "Help yourself to balls and wieners in the cock-pots". Lol. Yes, I am that cheesy.
Below is my meatball recipe, which from originated here but is slightly altered to my taste.
- 1 lb ground beef/turkey*
- 3/4 bread crumbs**
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 jar marinara sauce (14+ ounces)
**Typically I use "real" breadcrumbs, but again, my parent's grocery store only had Panko style, so I opted for Panko style with Italian Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix all ingredients (except marinara!) gently (preferably by hand) in a medium bowl
- Form into balls and place in baking dish. (The original recipe says you'll make 12, but I must make mine smaller than him b/c I usually get about 20).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked through.
- Take out of oven and pour marinara over; put back in oven for few minutes to warm sauce*
The weekend before the Bachelorette, H had a Bachelor party here in Chicago for one of his best friends and former roommates. I think this guy is a great friend and all around awesome person, and I was feeling like baking, so his party reaped the benefits: Boob-Cupcakes. Since I was more into the decorating than the baking, I used the quickly/easy options of box cake mix and pre-made frosting.
- Funfetti cake mix (1 box)
- Eggs and oil (as called for on cake mix box)
- Vanilla frosting (1 can)
- Yellow, red, and blue food coloring
- Cupcake liners
- Make the cupcakes following the directions on the box and let them cool.
- Put about 2/3 frosting in a bowl; add yellow and red food coloring to try to make a "flesh" colored frosting. This is kind of trial and error, but you need about 3:1 ratio of yellow to red.
- For the remaining 1/3 frosting: add red and the slightest bit of blue to get a pink ("nipple) color. I actually had two pinks made for the different part of the nipple as you'll see below.
- Frost the base "flesh" color on entire cupcake
- Put the pink frosting in a plastic bag and cut off the tip (an ever-so-small hole!)
- Frost circle the size of quarter or so (however big you want the nipple).
- Add sprinkles
- Frost the second portion of the nipple