I absolutely LOVE carrot cake. It was the one flavor I insisted we have at our wedding for cake. The cream cheese frosting really just makes it become over the top delicious. However, I've never attempted to make my own. My mom has a healthy recipe that's really good, but involves an overnight process of boiling a carrot concoction. Since last week was Engineering Week, I figured it was a good excuse to bake and bring something into the office. So, I used the recipe that Coll shared, from allrecipes.com, her suggested adjustment (sugars) and then I ended up tweaking the spices to add nutmeg in addition to the cinnamon.
I was so anxious to try it, I kind of forget to get a picture of the frosted cake and the whole cupcake. Trust me, this recipe is THAT good that you'll want to dig in right away.
(I also used my camera under AV setting to mess around with changing the aperture to change where my focus is in my pictures)
Coll Doll's Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil** 1 cup plain applesauce (cinnamon could be good too)** 1 cup white sugar1/2 cup white sugar** 1 cup brown sugar1/2 cup brown sugar**
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsps nutmeg
- 3 cups grated carrots
- (Optional: you could put in raisins or pecans)
*See frosting ingredients below
**Since originally posting this recipe; I've revised the ingredients (which are striked out): by substituting apple sauce for oil and cutting the sugar in half. This makes the recipe healthier. With the frosting, you can't even tell sugar is missing from the cake!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease 9"x13" pan
- Grate carrots
(Note: be very careful if you try to grate with your "opposite" hand. This resulted in a banged up knuckle and a band-aid for me!)
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine.
- Mix in carrots
- Pour into pan and bake for ~45 minutes (use a toothpick in the center to ensure it's cooked)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
|Whoops; you just need one stick of butter|
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients
- Once mixed, if frosting is stiff, put in microwave for ~15 seconds to soften for spreading
Once cake is cooled; frost and enjoy!
You can also make cupcakes; by baking for ~20 minutes.