However, during our meal planning on Sunday, I was feeling in a slump for idea, so I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. Low and behold, I found a recipe I'd pinned that we had all of the ingredients for already. I love when that happens!
My track record with making "Chinese" food has been rather hit or miss, even as I as prepping this, both Ben and I were skeptical (at one point Ben said he wondered if he was going to regret skipping a company dinner, thanks Ben), but the outcome was absolutely delicious!
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice
(Makes 4-5 servings)
- Approx 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 cups (dry) brown rice
- Small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup of frozen pea and carrot mix
- 1/2 can of sweet corn
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make your sauce by combining ketchup, sugar, vinegar, garlic salt and soy sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- Cut chicken into small pieces (1"x2")
- Salt and pepper as desired (I probably used about ~1/4tsp salt and slightly less pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs
- Pour cornstarch into a gallon sized bag
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add oil to pan
- Put your chicken in cornstarch bag and shake; try to coat the chicken as much as possible
- Dip a few pieces of chicken at a time into egg and then place on skillet
- Repeat until all of your chicken is in pan; then continue to flip chicken as needed until browned on both sides
- Place chicken in a pre-oiled 9"x13"
- Pour sauce over chicken and bake in oven for 1 hour; stirring the chicken every 15 minutes
While your chicken is baking, you can make your rice:
- Follow directions on box to prepare 1.5 cups of dry rice
- Warm your used chicken skillet to medium-high heat (the pan should have enough leftover oil that you won't need to add more)
- Saute the garlic, onion and frozen veggies until tender
- Once tender, mix in corn, followed by rice and soy sauce
Serve chicken with rice and enjoy!