Monday, March 4, 2013

Better Safe than Sorry

Two weeks ago, Ben sent me an email titled Cereal. I opened the email and there was a link to Kelloggs.

I came home and our conversation went as follows:
Me:  What was the deal with the cereal email today?
Ben: There was a Kellogg's cereal recall.
Me: How does that relate to us though? We don't buy Kelloggs.
Ben: Yes we do. I bought some Special K with berries this week when I did the grocery shopping.
Me: Hmmm, well have you checked the recall information and compared to what you bought?
Ben: No, that's why I sent it to you.

Seriously?  Sometimes he can be so dependent. 

I pulled up the Kellogg's link to find:
Kellogg Company has initiated a voluntary recall in the US of three sizes of Kellogg’s Special K Red Berries cereal packages due to the possible presence of glass fragments.

We have initiated a voluntary recall of three sizes of Kellogg’s Special K Red Berries cereal packages due to the possible presence of glass fragments.

Please check any packages you have in your home. If your package matches the information below, do not eat the food and contact us for a replacement coupon. We may also make arrangements to retrieve the food for further evaluation.

The food affected by the recall can be identified with the following information:

11.2-ounce package
- UPC Code 38000 59923
- Better if Used Before: DEC 02 2013 KNC 105 00:13 through DEC 02 2013 KNC 105 02:30


22.4-ounce twin pack
- UPC Code 38000 78356
- Better if Used Before:
- NOV 30 2013 KNA 105 07:00 to NOV 30 2013 KNA 105 08:51
- NOV 30 2013 KNB 105 15:00 to NOV 30 KNB 105 17:05


37-ounce package
- UPC Code 38000 20940
- Better if Used Before: NOV 30 2013 KNB 107 17:31 to NOV 30 2013 KNB 107 20:05


I found out of our box of cereal and holy crap!, we had an 11.2 ounce recall box! We pulled out the bag and inspected it glass, but didn't see anything suspect. However, by then, Ben had pretty much eaten the entire bag, except a bowl or two worth.

Last Sunday, when I went to the grocery store, I took the opened box of cereal with me.  I figured I'd do my grocery shopping and then head to customer service to exchange for a new box.  But, when I went to pick out a new box, I realized they all had the same UPC Code!!  My first thought was: How are they selling all of these recalled boxes?! How can this be right?!

I pulled out my phone and pulled up the recall message again then I had the light-bulb go off. Ohhhh, it's only for the expiration date of Dec 02, 2013. Yep, none of the boxes being sold had that expiration date and sure enough, the opened box I'd brought with me to the store had an expiration date of Sept 23, 2013.  Definitely, not a recall box!

I called Ben laughing about my stupidity and said I was glad I was realized before I made a scene at Customer Service. However, my trip wasn't over yet.

When I went to check out, I put all of the items on the belt to out, except for the opened cereal box. Of course, the bagger questioned me, pointing out I'd forgotten to put the box on the belt.  Then, embarrassed, I explained the entire situation.  She was still skeptical, until I pulled the bag out to show her how little was left. She apparently thought I'd gotten hungry while shopping and helped myself to a snack.

This is an excellent example of how my impatience and failure to examine details can sometimes lead to me making a mountain out of a mole hill. Better safe than sorry, right?


3 comments:

  1. Haha, glad only your pride was harmed in the making of this cereal story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben totally can't laugh at you when he failed to do the research himself. Men. I've totally made an ass out of myself at many a customer service desk over something I didn't pay close attention to. Can you say Target+NM line?

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips