Monday, July 22, 2013

Wknd Recap (+7/22 deals)

This weekend we headed back to our hometown of the Quad Cities for Ben's cousin's wedding.  Ben drove back on Thursday night with his sister and worked from home on Friday to be able to get to the rehearsal on time (he was a reader). On the other hand, I had to work in the office on Friday, lucky I had a trusty co-pilot to direct my drive.
The entire weekend was pretty much a whirlwind. Because we had the rehearsal dinner, appointments to get our hair done (much thanks to my MIL!), ceremony at 1:30 (we had to be there at 12:45. I was the guest book attendant), and reception at 5pm, it only made sense for us to stay at Ben's parent's house.  It's kind of odd to be in your hometown and only see your parents for about an hour, let alone not sleep in your own bed! But, we spent plenty of time together in June between Denver and Duluth, so I can't be too upset (I should say neither can they!).
 
Given our crazy agenda for the weekend, we didn't last very late at the wedding...
...but that was okay because it gave the guys a chance to catch a good night's sleep before golfing Sunday morning...and for Ben to get a hole in one!!!  A great day for golfing! Ben now has had two hole-in-ones: age 8 (damn son!) and age 27. It makes me think of my Gramps and how proud he would be for Ben (I'm pretty sure my Grandpa only had one hole in one during his life and he got it when he was in his 70s).
 
I asked him what happened when they realized.  When he shot, our brother in law said "man that's a great shot" and lucky for them, they were able to see the hole. The ball hit about five feet to the left of the hole and bounced directly in.  Ben started jumping up and down yelling, followed by my father in law and brother in law.
 
I suppose I should learn how to play golf, right?
The enginerd in me has to inform you of the numbers. The odds of
an amateur getting a hole in one on a par 3 are 12,500 to 1; the odds
 of a pro are 2,500 to 1. Ben's no pro, but he's certainly not an amateur.
I'd hoped for us to have time to go to the country club's pool, but clouds rolled in and Ben was in a hurry to get back to Chicago for what turned out to be a very wet Phish concert (three hours of rain with no shelter, yuck), instead to compromised to hit up Whitey's Ice Cream on our way out of town.  Since it was National Ice Cream Day (3rd Sunday in July), we let Oscar and Huey share a scoop. They were in dog Heaven!

How was your weekend? Linking up with Sami.
 
Today's Deals and Steals:
  • Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy: 30% off your purchase with code EVERYONE through 7/23, online only (2% back via ebates.com)
  • Banana Republic Factory: Extra 40% off sale items
  • Folica.com: 25% off site wide (and free shipping for $50+ orders) with code JULY25
  • Francescas: Buy 1, get 1 50% off all full priced items, plus free shipping, online
  • Macys: Extra 25% off women's clearance, prices marked (3% back via ebates.com)
  • Piperlime: 20% off purchase with code EVERYONE through 7/23 (2% back via ebates.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips