Monday, September 26, 2011

Reading Material

In college, despite a hectic class schedule and babysitting 20+ hours a week, I still considered myself an avid reader.  I’d pretty much fallen off track of reading on a regular basis, just an occasional book here and there, until H got me my Kindle for my birthday and also joining a bookclub.  The book club just meets every other month, so it’s not a large amount of reading, but it’s definitely a good time and been a nice way to meet people and also branch out my reading selections.

I’m (thanks to e-reading I can give this number to you accurately) 89% complete with the last book of the Hunger Game Series, Mockingjay, and now starting to consider what I want to get going on next.  Now that the Kindle allows library ebooks; I’m hoping to read even more.  Reading is my “tool” for relaxation before bed. It’s how I calm my mind and body from a busy day.  I also read on the train; after I’ve finished reading the Red Eye (free newspaper) in the morning and the crossword puzzle and Sudoku in the afternoon (I have been doing the crossword for almost 3 years now and only once have I solved it) I’m on the website Goodreads, but to be honest, I haven’t used it that much.  I’m looking for suggestions of what to read next.

Here are some of my reads from the past year and thoughts:


The Art of Racing in the Rain 
Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein:  This is one H suggested I read a while back.  I’m not into racecar driving or any of that, but my love for dogs really drew me in.  This was a great book, but note to self:  Do not finish it while riding on the train!  Read it and you’ll see why.


 
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson:  Another HM read.  I’ve never continued on with the series…maybe that’s something to consider.


 
Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins ( The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay):  I hadn’t heard much about this series except that I kept seeing FB comments about it and that it is/was consistently on top selling charts.  I started them having no idea what was going to happen.  Despite it’s some-what SciFi feel, being that it’s set in a post-Modern world, the books move at a good pace and are pretty intriguing.


Little Bee, by Chris Cleave (also known as The Other Hand):  This was interesting, a fast read, but pretty unrealistic about a young Nigerian girl who goes to England seeking a family she met while they were on vacation in her country. 


One Day, by David Nicholls:  I read this for bookclub and it was the most aggravating book ever.  An interesting storyline about two friends and what happens on to their relationship over the years on the same day.  Sound confusing?  It kind of was.  The ending was not what I expected.  However, it must have caught some attention because it was made into a movie staring Anne Hathaway, which hit theaters in August 2011.


Room, by Emma Donoghue:  This book broke my heart. Told from a 5 year boy’s point of view, a child essentially born into captivity, it follows the life of he and his “Ma”.  Really good!


Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon:  To be honest, I haven’t read this book.  I’ve only attempted, twice.  H read this, liked it, and suggested I read it.  I’m not sure why, but I just can’t get into it.  Perhaps the third time would be a charm?


The Help, by Kathryn Stockett:  By now, I think most of you would be familiar with those book and probably even had read it.  About “The Help” in Mississippi homes in 1960’s.  I thought this was a great book!


 
Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen:  I read this in a single day on our honeymoon.  I honestly don’t remember much of it now, but I think it’d be come to me quickly if I tried to read it again.  This reminds me that I never saw the movie though!


Some books on my list to read:
·         Annexed, by Sharon Dogar (imagined life of Peter, who lived with Anne Frank in hiding during WWII)
·         Bossypants, by Tina Fey
·         Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls (I know this is an older book, but one of my friends used to rave about it in hs. I still want to read it one of these days)
·         Thunder Dog, by Michael Hingson (True story of a blind man, his guide dog and the triumph of trust at Ground Zero)

Help me add to it.  Comment with some of your fav books please!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips