Saturday, October 8, 2011

Slow Cooker Potato Soup

One of my favorite things to make in fall and winter is crockpot soups/stews.  It's so nice to come home from the cold and have something smelling good, warm and ready to eat.

Unfortunately for me, H is such a picky eater that I usually end up making the soups and freezing half of it for future lunches, which works just as well I guess.

I recently made potato soup and I figured H would like that...I mean it's essentially kind of like mashed potatoes and then you can put your favorite toppings on.  But nope, he wouldn't even go for that when I offered bacon bits and cheese.  I suppose it's a lost cause if bacon bits can't entice him to even try it.  Oh well, I thought it was good.

Crockpot Potato Soup
(recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 6 large Russet potatoes (~3lbs)
  • 1/2 medium sized yellow onion
  • 24 oz low-sodium condensed chicken broth (I used 2-12 oz cans)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 pint half and half
  • 1-12 oz can evaporated milk
  • Toppings (optional): chives, cheddar cheese, ham, bacon bits, sour cream, etc

Directions:
  • Finely chop onions and dice potatoes (leave skins on).  Place in crock pot. (I did this the night before and put it covered in the fridge overnight)
  • Add chicken broth and water to potato/onions (I did this in the morning before I left for work).
  • Cook on low for approximately 8 hrs
This is what it looked like after ~8hrs
  • In a medium bowl, mix flour and half and half together. Add evaporated milk.
  • Pour combination in to soup and stir vigorously to "mash" potatoes (I ended up using my handheld mixer to ensure the potatoes were mashed enough for my liking).
  • Cook for 30 minutes on high
  • Add toppings and enjoy!  As noted above, I put my leftovers in single-serving plastic containers and froze.  I take the container out a day before eating to let it dethaw.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Blogging tips