Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A New Day (+deals)

Or perhaps this post should be titled A Day of New. This weekend I tried five new food spots and continuing on that route, yesterday I had two new food experiences.

The first: Native Foods. It's a fast food restaurant of sorts. You order your food and within a matter of minutes it's freshly prepared; but unlike other typical lunch options, it's an all vegan.

When I ordered they asked if it was my first time, to which I replied yes.  I was then offered a free drink and my response was "oh, I'm okay with water. I don't drink pop" DER! Really Hannah?! I kicked myself when she said that don't serve soft drinks but have a few fresh made juices.

I was skeptical about the food itself. I didn't want to order anything "fake" (fake meat or cheese in my mind), so I ordered the azteca salad, with avocado, jicama and cucumber salsa atop quinoa, romaine and mango lime vinaigrette; topped with currants, toasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro. It was really surprisingly delicious, filling and flavorful.
The second "new food" experience was in my kitchen. Over the weekend I tried my sister's caesar kale salad.  I hadn't tried kale, but it seems to be the hot new thing in super food realm. So last night when I had a craving for brie and raspberry, I rounded out the meal with a simple balsamic kale salad. I think I still need some time to adjust to the taste and texture, especially since I love spinach salads in the summer, which is so soft in comparison!
Do you eat kale? What are some of your favorite recipes?
 
Today's deals and steals:
  • BR/Gap/ON/: 30% off today with code FALLFIX online (2% back via ebates.com)
  • J Crew: Last day for extra 30% off final sale items with code SHOP30 (3% back via ebates.com)
  • Macy's: Extra 30% off with code LUCKYU (3% back via ebates.com)
  • Modcloth: Up to 70% off sale
  • Neiman Marcus: 8% back via ebates.com today
  • Nike: Last day for extra 20% off sale items with code XTRAIN (6% back via ebates.com)
  • philosophy: 25% off all orders with code beauty25 through 8/22 (3% back via ebates.com)
  • Piperlime: 10% off for cardholders with code TUESDAYS (2% back via ebates.com)
  • Victoria's Secret: $15 reward gift card with purchase of two bras; online use code BS2BRAS (3% back via ebates.com)
  • West Elm: Extra 30% off rugs with code XTRARUGS through 8/26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips