Monday, January 9, 2012

Simple Sausage Casserole

I kind of stumbled upon this concoction; due in part in trying to save a few bucks.  Since bookclub was a brunch affair this month, we were each asked to bring an item.  I found a sausage crescent on my Brunch & Breakfast Bites Pinterest board and decided to try it out.

When I got to the store, I needed two cans of crescents, which were $2.79 each...and then I noticed biscuits were on sale for $1.50; so I opted for the biscuits.  I was also pleasantly surprised when I went to make this, that I really only needed one can.  Ben was pleasantly surprised that I made something new for breakfast. Win-win. 

Simple Sausage Casserole


Ingredients:
  • 1 can of 10 biscuits (premade dough) (*or a can of cresent rolls)
  • 1 lb mild pork sausage
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 8 oz plain Greek yogurt (or cream cheese)
  • 4 or 5 eggs (depending how eggy you want it)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tsp red pepper flakes

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Open your biscuits and spread across bottom of a greased/oiled/butter 8"x10" pan one by one.  Press the dough together so there are no gaps
  • Bake your dough for half of the time called for on its directions
  • While the dough is baking, in a medium skillet, cook sausage until pink is gone; drain and rinse.
  • In the skillet; melt Greek yogurt. Once melted; mix in sausage and red pepper flakes.

  • Spread sausage across your biscuit dough
  • In a medium bowl, scramble eggs and mix in milk
  • Pour eggs/milk mixture over sausage
  • Sprinkle cheese on top
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes
Yummy! Although I have to admit this is much less healthy than our usual turkey bacon on wheat toast with egg whites...that must be why it takes so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips