Friday, December 21, 2012

Mourning Mackie

Joining Chicago English Bulldog Rescue this year has been one of the most rewarding experiences we could have imagined.  Of course with ups there are downs and this morning I am mourning the loss of one special dog.

It's strange, I haven't actually met this dog. He was supposed to come to PAWS last Sunday but didn't because he was sick.  A family that I approved for adoption was anxious to meet him and were disappointed by his absence. I was too. Wouldn't you want to meet this goofy face?

Mackie came into CEBR as a stray from local animal control earlier in the fall. His family was tracked down and contacted, but they didn't want him back. A CEBR foster family took him in and worked with the vet to determine his health.  It turned out he had been dealing with nasal congestion for 1-2 years and his original family had never treated it. This lead to a number of other health issues, which resulted in kidney failure and intubation yesterday.

Last night it was decided it was best to let nature take its course and Mackie passed.

Even as I am typing this and my condolences to his foster family, I am overcome with emotion. I don't know why. I seriously have tears streaming down my face over a dog I never met. Weird. I think that having become a part of something so "big" this year has opened my eyes and my heart. The joy, the sadness, the achievement, the dedication, the laughter and the love that goes into CEBR is astounding. I urge you to find a way to volunteer and make a difference in the lives of someone or something you love. It's powerful.

This poor poor dog, soul, deserved so much more than life gave him.  I'm happy that CEBR was able to show him what it was truly like to be loved before it was his time to move on.  Now he's in a much better place than any human could ever provide.

RIP Mackie - 12/20/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips