Monday, January 14, 2013

Beer Mac and Cheesiness

If macaroni and cheese isn't an American staple and one of the best comfort foods that exists; then I don't know what is (besides pizza and ice cream...hmm, and I can think of a few other things I suppose). We I make this at least once a month and probably closer to once every two weeks.  The recipe is based on one given to me from my friend, Coll-doll, but I've changed it slightly over the years.  What's great about it is that it's pretty quick, simple and adaptable.  I often add chicken and/or steamed broccoli to have this as a meal rather than a side.

While it's not the healthiest or even "real" cheese, it's delicious. Didn't I start off by saying this is supposed to be a comfort food?

Beer Mac and Cheesiness
 
Ingredients:
(Makes approximately 6 servings)
  • 1 lb of noodles (I typically use whole grain)
  • 3/4 lb of American cheese slices (from the deli; they melt differently than prepackaged)
  • 1/2 cup beer (I like using Ben's pale ale homebrews; but Bud Light works here too)
  • 1 vegetable bullion cube
  • 1/2 cup milk
 

Directions:
  • Pot 1: Cook noodles per box instructions
  • Simultaneously, start pot 2
  • Pot 2: Combine milk, beer, and bullion in medium sauce pan and bring to boil
  • Reduce heat to medium, use your hands to shred cheese slice into pieces and stir into mixture
  • Continue slice by slice until all cheese is combined and creamy
  • Pour over noodles and serve

Another fun (Pinterest-inspired) option is to continue with your mac and cheese and turn it into mac and cheese bites.  Preheat oven to 350F and grease muffin tins.  Mix in one cup bread crumbs.  Scoop into muffin tins and make for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown. Makes ~18 bites


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips