Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Post Goodbyes

I mentioned last week that I had a difficult weekend of me and difficult it was.

Friday night we decided to eat dinner in Chicago to avoid heading out of the city during rush hour.  (Which, by the way, was a smart decision.  We left about two hours later than we usually do and home just one hour later than usual; meaning we saved an hour of sitting in traffic). I bathed Tiny Tim so could be nice and fresh for his new house and then spent a good amount of time on the floor, snuggling with him in my lap.

The volunteer who was taking Tiny for his adoption on Saturday offered to pick him up Friday night after leaving dinner.  Once we heard that they would arrive shortly, we decided to leave.  I thought it would be too much to see someone take him away from us verses us leaving him.  If that makes any sense.  I still bawled like a baby when it was time to go, but it was fairly shorted lived.  On Saturday, we got a picture update from the volunteer as well as several from his new family.  Everyone is very excited with the adoption and things sound like they're going well.  I did tear up a bit Sunday night when we got back to an empty apartment; but adoption is the ultimate goal of fostering!

For now, with Ben's new job and my studying for my PE Exam, we've decided to put the breaks on another foster until April.  We'll see if I hold out.

On to my grandpa...

He looks so frail. That was what I immediately noticed.  He also wasn't wearing his glasses so his eyes look smaller and different than I'm used to.  Ben and I went over to my grandparent's house for a few hours on Saturday.  My mom had volunteered to babysit Gpa so that one of my aunts could get my grandma out of the house and take her shopping.

 We were there a few hours and Gpa was able to keep up with the majority of our convos. He dozed off a few times though. At one point I asked him a question and didn't answer directly so I said "huh?" And his response was "WTH, I am still speaking English right?" So he still has that spark in him that I recognize as my Gpa.

However, my mom was there over six hours and in that course of time all he ate/drank was 4oz of Ensure. Not a good sign.  On Sunday my mom and I stopped back over.  My mom reminded him that everything he eats and drinks will affect how long he stays around. She said if he was ready to leave it was okay to stop eating, but wanted him to be conscious of the decisions he is making. I got up crying at this point to excuse myself to gain composure.

One Monday, he had chest pains and has since been admitted to the hospital as the result of a minor heart attack. He's currently still in the hospital, but the report is good! He has color to his face and has been eating.  We have not heard word of when they will consider releasing him.

My grandma seems to be coping with everything well.  She is in her 80s and prior to my grandfather getting sick, volunteered at the hospital twice a week running medications around.  She's tending to his every need, which is keeping her busy, but we also fear that she's not thinking ahead to what happens when he passes.

Please keep Grandpa Ed in your thoughts and prayer.


  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear all this. I hope Grandpa Ed gets better soon so he can be home with your Grandma! Thoughts and prayers to you!


Blogging tips