Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I am probably one of the few Americans who typically doesn't like "Chinese food".  I don't know why, when I was younger I loved it (but then again, I also drank pop and ate McDonalds when I was younger), but nowadays I would rather have Thai or sushi when I want Asian cuisine. 

However, during our meal planning on Sunday, I was feeling in a slump for idea, so I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. Low and behold, I found a recipe I'd pinned that we had all of the ingredients for already. I love when that happens! 

My track record with making "Chinese" food has been rather hit or miss, even as I as prepping this, both Ben and I were skeptical (at one point Ben said he wondered if he was going to regret skipping a company dinner, thanks Ben), but the outcome was absolutely delicious!

Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice
Just Call Me Haha
 
Ingredients:


(Makes 4-5 servings)

Chicken:
  • Approx 1.5 pounds chicken breast
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp oil
Sauce:
  • 4 Tbsp ketchup
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
Rice:
  • 1.5 cups (dry) brown rice
  • Small yellow onion (chopped)
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 cup of frozen pea and carrot mix
  • 1/2 can of sweet corn
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce

Directions:
Chicken:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Make your sauce by combining ketchup, sugar, vinegar, garlic salt and soy sauce.  Mix well and set aside.
  • Cut chicken into small pieces (1"x2")
  • Salt and pepper as desired (I probably used about ~1/4tsp salt and slightly less pepper
  • In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs
  • Pour cornstarch into a gallon sized bag
  • Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add oil to pan
  • Put your chicken in cornstarch bag and shake; try to coat the chicken as much as possible
  • Dip a few pieces of chicken at a time into egg and then place on skillet
  • Repeat until all of your chicken is in pan; then continue to flip chicken as needed until browned on both sides
  • Place chicken in a pre-oiled 9"x13"
  • Pour sauce over chicken and bake in oven for 1 hour; stirring the chicken every 15 minutes
 

Rice:
While your chicken is baking, you can make your rice:
  • Follow directions on box to prepare 1.5 cups of dry rice
  • Warm your used chicken skillet to medium-high heat (the pan should have enough leftover oil that you won't need to add more)
  • Saute the garlic, onion and frozen veggies until tender
  • Once tender, mix in corn, followed by rice and soy sauce

Serve chicken with rice and enjoy!
Just Call Me Haha


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips