I came across this recipe on Cookaholic Wife and it sounds absolutely irresistible. I altered it a bit from the original (simply because neither of us eat mushrooms) and also because I realized once I started cooking that I didn't have heavy cream.
Asiago Cream Sauce Pasta
- Approx 1 lb skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic salt
- 1 box penne pasta (I used Smart Taste enriched)
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups asiago cheese, shredded
- 6 Tsbp butter (2/3 cup)
- 1-3/4 cup milk (I used non-fat)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbs. water
- 1/8 lb prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Optional: 1 cup+ frozen peas, thawed and cooked
- Cut chicken into small pieces (approx 1"x3") and season with garlic salt
- In medium-sized skillet, pour on olive oil into pan (use medium-high heat)
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked thoroughly and place on in bowl or plate and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.
- Boil large pot of water. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In the skillet, turn the heat on medium-low and add 2 Tbsp butter. Once the butter has melted, add the prosciutto and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until prosciutto is cooked (will be slightly "harder")
- Once skillet items are cooked, put aside on low heat.
- In a medium pot, melt 6 Tbsp butter. Stir in milk and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken broth and some of the asiago cheese. Continue to whisk in cheese, handfuls at a time, until the cheese has melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Mix into the cheese mixture. Lower the heat to low and stir occasionally. (The cornstarch mixture will help thickened the sauce)
- Add the chicken to the skillet with the prosciutto and garlic with the heat on low, just enough to warm.
- Mix cheese sauce into skillet. Add pasta and enjoy.
|Peas for mine!|
|H-no veggies allowed:O)|