Tuesday, October 18, 2011

G! - updated

This morning while on the train reading the newspaper; I came across a blurb that made me gasp: Guiliana Rancic – breast cancer.  I think she is a riot and I’ve even actually got Ben to watch Guiliana and Bill with me in the past.  Part of the fun of the show though is the Chicago scenes and I'm also really excited for the restaurant  they're supposed to be opening up downtown. I also think I really like her because she is the only celebrity I've seen in person while living in Chicago.  We saw her at the Rock n Roll half marathon in Aug 2010, doing an interview before the race.  Girlfriend is skkkkinny!


I’ve followed up on their pregnancy issues and my second thought after ohmygosh! was that this is just a reminder that things do happen for a reason.  Having to go through IVF again was a blessing in disguise which lead to getting a mammogram and catching the cancer early only.  My prayers to Guilaina!

Appropriate timing with this post; I had an email from Women's Health with 10 ways to decrease your risk for breast cancer.  They are:
1. Eating a healthy diet that is low in animal fat and high in whole grains and fruits and vegetables. There is no data indicating that a specific diet, per se, can help reduce breast cancer risk.

2. Taking a multivitamin and make sure it includes adequate folic acid.

3. Having your children before 35, if you have a choice.

4. Breastfeeding your children.

5. Avoiding unnecessary X-rays.

6. Drinking alcohol in moderation and make sure you take folic acid when you do drink.

7. Losing weight (if you are overweight).

8. Not gaining weight after menopause.

9. Getting regular exercise.

10. Using hormone therapy to treat menopausal symptoms for the shortest time period necessary, it at all.

You should also be sure to:
•Evaluate any breast symptoms or changes that develop.
•Have mammograms when appropriate.
•Consider raloxifene if you are postmenopausal and need to take a drug to prevent bone loss.
•If you have a family history of breast cancer or for other reasons are at high risk of getting breast cancer, visit our section for High-Risk Women


I'll admit, I'm terrible about self-exams and I know this sounds cheesy, but the fact that Guiliana has been diagnosed is kind of a wakeup call to me that, YES-this can happen to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips