One summer day a few years ago, when Mr. Sister was in town for a visit, we perused Broadway St in Boystown and happened across Phoebe's Cupcakes. Being a hot day, I opted for the unusual but refreshing sounding pink lemonade cupcake. It was delicious!
Years later, Phoebe's is now closed, but every summer I think about that cupcake (weird, I know) and how good it was. When I saw this recipe via Pinterest, I knew I had to try it. The result was not quite the sweet tart taste I remembered, but close enough. As summer gets ready to turn into fall, give these cupcakes a try.
- 1/4 milk (I used skim)*
- 2 tsp white vinegar*
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen pink lemonade concentrate
- Red food coloring
*Similar to No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls, the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup buttermilk, which I don't keep on hand. Instead, I "make" my own buttermilk with skim and vinegar.
- 3 cups and 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 stick of softened room temp butter
- 3 Tbsp pink lemonade concentrate
- Red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small bowl, mix together milk and vinegar to let milk curdle (or skim this step if you have buttermilk)
- Grease or place liners in muffin tin
- In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt)
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites and lemonade.
- Add approximately 3 Tbsp of dry ingredients mixture and 1 Tbsp milk mixture to wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Repeat until everything is mixed together and beat smooth
- Add approximately three drops of food coloring and stir to turn batter pink
- Scoop dough into muffin tins; fill about 3/4 full
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
While cupcakes are baking, make your frosting.
- Add all ingredients into medium bowl (powdered sugar, butter and lemonade)
- Mix on high speed with hand mixer (or by hand) until whipped and creamy
- Add approximately two drops food coloring and mix
- Take your cupcakes out of oven and let cool (15+ minutes)
- Frost, top with sprinkles (optional) and enjoy the taste of summer!