Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

One summer day a few years ago, when Mr. Sister was in town for a visit, we perused Broadway St in Boystown and happened across Phoebe's Cupcakes.  Being a hot day, I opted for the unusual but refreshing sounding pink lemonade cupcake. It was delicious!
 
Years later, Phoebe's is now closed, but every summer I think about that cupcake (weird, I know) and how good it was.  When I saw this recipe via Pinterest, I knew I had to try it.  The result was not quite the sweet tart taste I remembered, but close enough.  As summer gets ready to turn into fall, give these cupcakes a try.
Ingredients:
(Makes 10)
 
Cupcakes:
  • 1/4 milk (I used skim)*
  • 2 tsp white vinegar*
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup thawed frozen pink lemonade concentrate
  • Red food coloring
*Similar to No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls, the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup buttermilk, which I don't keep on hand. Instead, I "make" my own buttermilk with skim and vinegar.

 Frosting:
  • 3 cups and 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1 stick of softened room temp butter
  • 3 Tbsp pink lemonade concentrate
  • Red food coloring
I know what you're thinking. A whole stick of butter to frost 10 measly cupcakes? I thought the same thing; so originally I made half of the recipe above...but then it seems like I didn't have enough frosting, so I made the second half.  Now I have about a cup and a half of pink lemonade frosting sitting in my fridge waiting for a partner.  Unless you LOVE frosting, I'd perhaps start with making of half portion of the above and see if it's enough for you.
 Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • In a small bowl, mix together milk and vinegar to let milk curdle (or skim this step if you have buttermilk)
  • Grease or place liners in muffin tin
  • In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt)
  • In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites and lemonade. 
  • Add approximately 3 Tbsp of dry ingredients mixture and 1 Tbsp milk mixture to wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
  • Repeat until everything is mixed together and beat smooth
  • Add approximately three drops of food coloring and stir to turn batter pink
  • Scoop dough into muffin tins; fill about 3/4 full
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
While cupcakes are baking, make your frosting.
  • Add all ingredients into medium bowl (powdered sugar, butter and lemonade)
  • Mix on high speed with hand mixer (or by hand) until whipped and creamy
  • Add approximately two drops food coloring and mix

  • Take your cupcakes out of oven and let cool (15+ minutes)
  • Frost, top with sprinkles (optional) and enjoy the taste of summer!
 Late link up with Ashley and Jessica for Taste of Tuesday

3 comments:

  1. Those sound so good! I haven't made my own buttermilk!! Love that, good trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! A friend was talking about pink lemonade cupcakes and how yummy they are...I just might have to give these a try!

    Tiffany
    www.StyleSidebar.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips