Sunday, February 7, 2021

January 2021 - Whole 30



Gosh, it's been a long time since I've posted here, and an even longer time since I completed a Whole 30. For my own use, and per your requests, I'm attempting to document what I ate this round (January 2021).

Mr HaHa joined me, which had its own challenges given that he really doesn't eat vegetables; but we found some great recipes and work arounds (aka, me adding extra veggies to my meals). Having to balance two toddlers, a puppy, and working out of the house; it took a lot of planning. Generally we would keep a list of meal ideas on hand as we found them, on Saturday's we would decide on the following week's menu. Sunday mornings we have groceries delivered and use Sunday naps to prep and precook some meals for the week (ie our breakfast for the work week and a lunch option for me for the work week)

Here is our January 2021 Whole 30 Menu!

Jan 4

  • Breakfast: Nut granola* with 1/2 banana and almond milk
  • Dinner: Grilled steak with roasted sweet potato and kale cesar salad (Primal Palate dressing)
*Technically granola is considered a SWYPO by Whole30 (Sex with your pants on; a cheat) given that you're potentially following an unhealthy habit (ie granola I guess?). Given that we ate this once a week, there were some meals, so as this, that we decided to eat as long as the ingredients were Whole30 compliant as the goal of our Whole30 was not only a "healthy reset" but also to find more long term sustainable healthy habits and recipes.

Jan 5

  • Breakfast: 40 Apron's Sausage Breakfast Casserole (notes: I generally use 8-10 eggs; again to make sure we have enough substance to make it last for enough servings all week. Since my first Whole30 in 2016, I've made our own breakfast sausage with plain ground pork and followed this blend of Primal Palate recommended spices)

Jan 6

Jan 7

Jan 8

  • Dinner: Can't remember!

Jan 9

Jan 10

Mon Jan 11

Jan 12

  • Dinner: Living at Altitude's Spaghetti Squash Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli (would not make this again)

Jan 13

  • Breakfast: 40 Apron's Sausage Breakfast Casserole (substitute regular hashbrowns with shredded sweet potato)
  • Lunch: Chipotle bowl
  • Dinner: Crockpot Italian Beef over mashed potatoes (I don't have a recipe for the Italian beef, mainly slow cook 8 hour and douse with a ton of italian herb blend!)

Jan 14

  • Breakfast: 40 Apron's Sausage Breakfast Casserole (substitute regular hashbrowns with shredded sweet potato)
  • Lunch: Sweet Green's salad
  • Dinner: Air fried buffalo wings with celery, carrots, and Tessesame's ranch

Jan 15

Jan 16

  • Breakfast: Olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper roasted kale, air fried sweet potato cubes, eggs over easy and Pederson's bacon, topped with everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Lunch: Homemade Acai bowl  made with this frozen fruit and this acai powder
  • Dinner: Homemade Chinese chicken with cauliflower rice and broccoli (I can't remember who's recipe)

Jan 17

  • Breakfast: Cascadian Farm's potato/sweet potato blend has browns, scrambled eggs, bacon, and leftover Just Be Kitchen's green chile

Mon, Jan 18

Jan 19

Jan 20

Jan 21

  • Dinner: Leftover night

Jan 22

Jan 23

  • Breakfast: Air fried purple sweet potatoes, eggs over easy, avocado, hot sauce and bacon. Topped with EBTB seasoning

Jan 24

Mon Jan 25

Jan 26

Jan 27

Jan 28

Jan 29

Jan 30

  • Breakfast: Olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper roasted kale, air fried sweet potato cubes, eggs over easy and Pederson's bacon, topped with everything but the bagel seasoning
  • Lunch: Recovery smoothie from Kale Me Crazy (add spirulina and chia seeds)
  • Dinner: Real Simple Good's Korean BBQ Chicken thighs (make double the sauce), served over oven roasted baby broccoli tossed with sesame oil and sweet potato noodles (homemade with spiralizer)

Jan 31

  • Lunch: Acai bowl from Kale Me Crazy (hold the honey and granola; add homemade nut granola)

Feb 1

Feb 2

And there you have it! Ben and I both feel better overall. Ben lost a significant amount of weight (I haven't weighed myself and probably won't. I figure if I'm feeling good and motivated to keep eating well and exercising, why letter a number get in my brain and mess that up). I do know my clothes are fitting much better. My skin is much clearer also. Big bummer is that I'm still waking up nightly to go to the bathroom (#smallbladderproblems), although I have generally had an easier time falling asleep.

We both agree that we're willing to maintain a paleo lifestyle during the week, some more food freedom on the weekend, and keep beer in our diet. Although it's been 5 days since Whole30 ended and I've only had 2 beers; so that's pretty good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips