Monday, August 29, 2011

Anniversary of Our Engagement

Well what do ya know?  Two years ago on this fine day, H forever changed our lives when he asked me to marry him.  I'll indulge and share what I think is one of the best engagements ever; although I'm obviously biased :O)

Here goes:

It was the third mont of us living together. At the time H had a gym membership and I didn't.  It was Saturday morning and the usual routine was for H to wake up early and go to the gym while I slept in until 9:30 or 10. So, when H woke up early Saturday August 29th to go to the gym and I stayed in bed, it seemed like a typical Saturday.

H text me around 9 am saying that he ended up taking Oscar (our 5 month old puppy that H and my parents bought me for college graduation) for a walk, and that Osc was doing so well that they made it all the way to the dog beach (on Lake Michigan, about a mile from our apartment). He suggested that I run to the beach and meet them to play.

Side story: I asked H if I needed to eat breakfast or a granola bar before I came, which my sister finds hilarious, but I'm always hungry.  Btw, H said no, we'd find a place for breakfast on the lake

H is infamous for not being where he's supposed to be at the time he's supposed to be, so I ran with my cell phone because I didn’t want to get there and not be able to find them. I ran to the dog beach and couldn’t see the boys anywhere, so I called H and he said to follow the parking lot and they were hanging out at a grassy part on the end of the pier.
 
By this point, I knew something was up, because there was no way Oscar could walk that far (even just one way), let alone have energy to play at the beach and be able to make it home. So I kept running and eventually saw them from a distance. I immediately noticed that H was wearing jeans and a polo - not your usual gym attire.
When I got closer, H bent down holding Oscar and got on one knee…then I realized that Oscar was wearing a leather collar that said “Will you marry me”, and there was a gorgeous ring hanging off of the collar. Afterward, H pulled back the blanket he had been sitting on to reveal another blanket underneath with roses spread around, champagne, and a picnic breakfast.
We tried to re-enact for a picture; but I think we were both too excited to capture something decent

Me looking somewhat dazed...

View from Belmont Harbor, where it happened
It truly was the perfect moment and day! I felt like I was in a movie or something :O)

Later that evening H surprised me with dinner at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of John Hancock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips