Friday, August 26, 2011

Foodie Friday - Bewbs and Balls!

One of the first Friday's after starting my blog, I designated Fridays as "Foodie Fridays"; but to be honest (and perhaps as some of you have noticed), I've been terrible at keeping up to it.  However, today is different.

Today's food "theme" is Bachelorette/Bachelor, if you will. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my first food item, but I do have a cute (read cheesey) saying  and delicious recipe to share. Plus, what I lack for pictures of the first item, the balls, I have plenty of pics of the second, the Bewbs (you'll just have to scroll down to find out when I mean by this).

1. Balls
We had my best friend's Bachelorette party last weekend and it went really well! I had a great time and I know she (the bride) did too.  We started off with a cooking demonstration, and some great food, at a local restaurant.  Since we ate a fair amount there, the MOH and I thought we should just have some snacks/apps for the evening when we drank/played games.  I racked my brain for items that: 1.Related to bachelorette (so penis), 2. Could be served at a hotel, and 3. The majority of people would like...thus: cocktail hot dogs and meatballs in crockpots...except, even better I came up with a cute saying to tie in the penis-theme "Help yourself to balls and wieners in the cock-pots".  Lol.  Yes, I am that cheesy. 

Below is my meatball recipe, which from originated here but is slightly altered to my taste.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef/turkey*
  • 3/4 bread crumbs**
  • 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 jar marinara sauce (14+ ounces)
*I usually ground turkey; we rarely cook with ground beef and to be honest, I've been eating the turkey so long now that ground beef freaks me out!...but, of course at my parent's grocery store the only ground turkey they had is the brand that had a big recall recently due to e. coli breakouts, so I bought the beef

**Typically I use "real" breadcrumbs, but again, my parent's grocery store only had Panko style, so I opted for Panko style with Italian Seasoning

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Mix all ingredients (except marinara!) gently (preferably by hand) in a medium bowl
  3. Form into balls and place in baking dish. (The original recipe says you'll make 12, but I must make mine smaller than him b/c I usually get about 20).
  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked through.
  5. Take out of oven and pour marinara over; put back in oven for few minutes to warm sauce*
*Typically when H and I eat these, I also add some shredded mozzarella before putting back in the oven.  I keep in the oven until melted and then we eat on toasted bread/buns as a meatball sub.

Enjoy!

#2. Bewbs!
(aka boobs)
The weekend before the Bachelorette, H had a Bachelor party here in Chicago for one of his best friends and former roommates.  I think this guy is a great friend and all around awesome person, and I was feeling like baking, so his party reaped the benefits: Boob-Cupcakes.  Since I was more into the decorating than the baking, I used the quickly/easy options of box cake mix and pre-made frosting.

Ingredients:
  • Funfetti cake mix (1 box)
  • Eggs and oil (as called for on cake mix box)
  • Vanilla frosting (1 can)
  • Yellow, red, and blue food coloring
  • Sprinkles
  • Cupcake liners
Directions:
  • Make the cupcakes following the directions on the box and let them cool.
  • Put about 2/3 frosting in a bowl; add yellow and red food coloring to try to make a "flesh" colored frosting.  This is kind of trial and error, but you need about 3:1 ratio of yellow to red.
  • For the remaining 1/3 frosting: add red and the slightest bit of blue to get a pink ("nipple) color.  I actually had two pinks made for the different part of the nipple as you'll see below.
  • Frost the base "flesh" color on entire cupcake
  • Put the pink frosting in a plastic bag and cut off the tip (an ever-so-small hole!)
  • Frost circle the size of quarter or so (however big you want the nipple).
  • Add sprinkles
  • Frost the second portion of the nipple
Viola, bewbs!  A great snack for a Bachelor party, or so I thought!



Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips