Friday, February 3, 2012

Taco Seasoning

Last night, to Ben's delight, was Taco Night.  I'm not sure why, but I'm usually opposed to making taco's at home.  I think it's because our first year living together we ate A LOT of them.  When meal planning for this week, I caved and agreed to taco's because we already had everything we needed...

Except that we didn't. I realized we didn't have any taco seasoning!!  Growing up, my mom never-ever used taco seasoning.  In fact, I didn't really realize it existed until college and since then, I've wondered how I ever went without (although I don't use a whole pack at one time, more like 1/3 pack).  When I realized we didn't have any, I went to trusty allrecipes.com and used this recipe as my basis.


Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
(for ~3/4lb ground meat)
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1.5 tsps ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp roasted pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
Directions:
  • Mix together in bowl
  • Add 1/2 cup water to skillet with meat in in
  • Mix in seasoning and let simmer on low for 2-5 minutes
With my left over meat and taco shells, plus leftover avacado (we had chicken, cheese, bacon, avacado panini's the night before); I threw together a taco salad for lunch today.  A few years ago I read that salsa is considered a healty dressing; so I went all out!
Taco Salad:
Romaine lettuce
Mexican blend cheese
Crushed taco shells,
Avacado, cubed
Taco meat
Salsa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips