Friday, October 14, 2011

Book Review: Thunder Dog

Book: Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero
 
By: Michael Hingson
 
Review Grade: A
Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero

I really didn’t know what to expect when I bought this book for my kindle, but it was $1.99 and involved a dog and 9/11. Two things that I find interesting, so I went for it.

Wow!  It was really good.  I don’t want to say too much as to give away the highlights of the book…but essentially you’re guided through Michael’s experiences on 9/11 as well as some of his experiences throughout his life.  Being that Michael is blind (and has been from birth), the book offers a lot of insight to the life of a blind person in North America; something I’d never thought to consider or wonder about, but found really fascinating.  Michael talks about learning to get around as a kid as well as the thrill of getting a guide dog.

Being the dork that I am, after finishing it, one morning I decided to try to shower and get ready with my eyes closed.  I have an advantage as I’ve already seen the location of everything so when I close my eyes, I can think from memory where things are located.  I last about one minute in the shower until I decided I’d probably kill myself shaving and gave up.

I saw a blind runner during the marathon with a running-aid and almost teared up; how freaking cool is that?!  I almost complimented her during the race, but then I thought back to Michael’s mindset- that just because someone is blind, doesn’t mean they’re different.  Blind people want to be treated as equals and respect just as anyone else, not called out for their difference.  Actually, in the end of the book there was an article comparing the world for blind people to the world for left-handed people, just on a much smaller scale.  I’m left-handed so I found this really interesting.  Think of it, the world really is set-up to be most convenient for right-handed people….we shake with our right hands, zippers on purses are set-up for a right handed person as are the dials on watches. Heck, even ice cream scoopers are made for left-handed people (although they do make left-handed scoopers; I had one ordered for me when I worked at Whitey’s Ice Cream in high school). 

Any who, the book drew tears to my eyes, a few times, but to be honest, I am a crier. I definitely recommend this book. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the most greatest book in the history of books and thats saying something i hate reading i don'tvknow if it beacuse i love dogs or it is the nook color but what ever it is . I love this book

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips