Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cheesy Risotto

I'm not really sure why; but I recently decided that I really wanted to try to make risotto.  Of course, since some of the most common risotto I've come across include veggies (mushroom, asparagus, etc), I knew my options were limited in finding something that H would eat too.  I ended up choosing a cheese risotto.  Kid (H) loves cheese-as in he'll come home and pour shredded cheese into his mouth. A major yuck in my book. 

This was my first time making risotto, so I was definitely nervous, but it turned out great!  Another worthy side option for us.

I used this Emeril recipe  and also this for my basis, but combined/altered some.

Cheesy Risotto

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup arborio rice
  • 1 tsp dried minced onion <this is the closest H will get to eating onion
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 dry white wine
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup Asiago cheese
  • 2 Tbsp butter
I realize I have onion in the picture- I was going to attempt to "sneak" it
 in, but H saw and freaked out.  Also, I forgot to put the Asiago in the pic.
Directions:
  • In a small pot, warm the chicken broth
  • In a medium sized pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and onion and saute
  • Add rice to the pan and stir rice so that it is coated in the oil/garlic/onion
  • Add the wine to the pan and stir in; letting rice absorb the wine
  • Slowly add chicken broth to pan and stir
  • Cover and let rice cook for approximately 10 minutes
  • At this time, a good amount of the chicken broth should be absorbed by the rice.  Stir in cheese and butter 
  • Continue to let cook for roughly another 7-8 minutes; until the mixture is creamy and the rice is tender
  • Serve warm (I added broccoli to mine for some veggie intake)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips